Friday, April 1, 2016

March 28, 2016

Hi Fam!!

Happy Easter to you all!! It has sure been an interesting week! I'm just gonna run down my week day by day because I think that's the only way I can keep it all straight. But to start off so you don't have to wait. My area is the DC 3rd South and my companion is Elder Cowen. Then my roommates are Elder Chapman (I came out with him) and....Elder Jenks!!! Hahah it's been so sweet! Out apartment is so stack! But so hard working and obedient together, it's great! So it's kinda interesting we are the only apartment where the roommates are in different zones. So we are in the DC 3rd Ward in the South area, in the DC Zone (stake). And they are in the Capitol Hill Ward in
the North Area, in the Suitland Zone (stake). So we live right on our area boundaries.  The DC 3rd ward has the most missionaries per ward in the mission, we have 12. So there's a North, East and South English area. Then 4 Amharic elders and 2 French Elders. So it's pretty crazy to see all the missionaries running around the Ward during the church block.

So Monday I got the transfer call saying my new assignment. I was also called as a District Leader for the DC 3 District. Which has lovingly become known as the Frat District because we are the only district in the mission that doesn't have sisters in it so that's fun. So the area is super cool, I'm sending a picture of the area so you can see it better, but the national mall is in my area! How cool it that!?

Tuesday was just the craziness of running around and saying goodbyes. I'll send all the pictures from the goodbyes! Ismael was pretty sad but we got an email chain started so we can talk and I promised we would keep in touch until I went home and the when I have a phone we can text and he can call me and all that good stuff!

Wednesday we transferred and I met Elder Cowen! I had known who he was but didn't know tons about him. He has been out for almost 6 months and he just split from his trainer. I am pumped to be comps with him! He is from Oregon and is such a stud! He played golf and basketball in HS and we get along so good! He just wants to work hard. he's such a good missionary and I'm looking forward to it.

Thursday and Friday were the annoying nitty gritty of learning the new area and trying to get a grasp. Let's just say city missionary work is much different than suburb missionary work. But I love it!!

Saturday I had to attend leadership meeting which was about 4 hours but it was really insightful! I've never appreciated how much gets put in behind the scenes of the mission. All the administrative side, but it was cool to be apart of those conversations and try to help the mission out.

Sunday was my first church in the city. And let me tell you it's pretty crazy haha. Just figuring out everything and city wards are not as strong. Plus dealing with all the visitors is hard.. But then here comes the real story. So we had a lunch at a members house (which never happens - ps.I'm gonna get skinny cause I'm kissing my member
meals goodbye), and got a call from the Chevy Chase Sisters who was having a baptism at our chapel because their buildings water heater was broken. Long story short they planned their baptism late and we had to come fill the font. We had a hose running from an outside spigot through a window and then carrying buckets from the kitchen in. So overall that kinda sucked haha. But it's all good.

So overall this transfer is a dream. I am so excited. Our apartment had this heart to heart talk on our roof where we all just talked that we felt like we have been good missionaries but there's more to improve, that we can
do even more. So this apartment is a dream with a comp and roommate that are awesome and then having one of my best mission buds as a roommate as well!! We also live in the nicest apartment in the mission so that's another bonus (you can see the Capitol and Washington from the roof)

I hope you all have great weeks! I'll keep you updated on this great week to come!

Love you all tons!
Love Austin
Laurel Good-byes!
Lucie & Ismael


                                     
This is Brandon.  When I first got to the area he was on the fringe 
but now he says he wants to serve a mission.  I gave him a tie and wrote a note on 
the back! I'm gonna stay in contact with him for sure!

Area Map


The only picture I have of the apartment so far.  Me, Jenks, Chapman, and Cowen


For p-day we went to see the cherry blossoms which are in full bloom. 
Me and Elder Cowen







No comments:

Post a Comment